Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Cringing in My Seat

I watched a good bit of the funeral for Coretta Scott King yesterday. I taped it on CSPAN in order to be able to watch the whole thing. While sitting in a cafe yesterday eating lunch I looked up to see George Bush speaking. I know that this was not a typical funeral by any means and that there are probably a number of reasons he was standing there, but I really feel like it was an obscene few minutes. At a time when family, friends, and the nation are mourning her passing, I think that Bush speaking anything but words of repentance at her funeral was appalling. Having to sit and listen to the man who is working against the King vision and philosophy in his actions, leadership, and policies at every level of his presidency is just obscene. This is the person who is building a legacy daily of disdain for nonviolent or negotiated resolution to conflct. He PREFERS using violence to achieve his ends. Read the 6 Principles of Nonviolence and the 6 Steps of Nonviolence at The King Center. King advocated a war on poverty- Bush is leading a war on the poor. The most honest, honorable thing for him to have said would have been, "I must respectfully refuse. I represent all that Mrs. King devoted her life to change. It would disrespect her memory for me to say anything more."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home