Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Arrogance Repackaged

I don't want to be petty in the face of severe suffering. I hope the following is an attempt to understand part of this "American thing" we have going on here. I have heard in numerous commentaries on Katrina, most recently last night on the Al Franken show, some version of "I can't believe this is America". Sometimes it's packaged in a question, "Is this America?" A few times it's been soldiers fresh from Iraq. Sometimes it's in reference to the destruction. Sometimes it's in reference to the government's response. Something is bothering me about these questions and statements that I'm not sure I can put my finger on. When I was in SE Asia after the tsunami, I never heard the people we spoke with or read any interviews of, "I can't believe this is Thailand" or "Is this Sri Lanka" or "I couldn't believe I was in India". Don't get me wrong, people leveled criticism at their governments and those handling the response. What was lacking, however, was the American sense of, "This shouldn't happen here." I personally feel that much of the suffering and destruction could have been (and was) anticipated and some of it prevented. We have incredible human and physical resources in this country. In that sense, then yes, this shouldn't happen here. On the other hand, my skeptical side hears this kind of speech and I see another aspect to it. I see an arrogance that believes that disasters and tragedies on a large scale only happen to other people. Somehow being American in and of itself should shield us from great tragedies whether man-made or natural- Oklahoma City, 9/11, Katrina. I do know that people from other countries notice this attitude in us. Close, honest relationships can sometimes betray a guilty sense of satisfaction that now the Americans "know what it's like", "it can happen to you, too." I heard this somewhat in reverse after the tsunami. Plenty of conversations with Americans both in the US and even some working in the relief efforts would comment on how different, i.e. "better", we would plan for or respond to natural disasters "in America".

Before someone raises the complaint that this is a "America Bad-Everyone Else Good" blog, please know that's not what I'm saying at all. The comparison is just fresh in my mind. I guess I'd just like to see less arrogance from us. All of the "greatest nation" talk and "only superpower" talk and "we'll do this" and "we'll do that", "everyone did a great job", etc... I'd like to see a sense of humility. I know it's only a dream, but if the last couple years haven't taught us anything else, they should at least show us that we bleed like anyone else, we make mistakes like anyone else, we're vulnerable to attack like anyone else, we're corrupt like anyone else, the list goes on. Being "American" doesn't miraculously exempt us from mother nature or human nature. The basis for our power in the world is due to our military and nuclear arsenals. We make lots of money to go along with it, although foreigners carry most of our mortgage on the nation. For some reason we think that being the best armed and the most willing to fight carries with it a whole host of other privileges and moral superiority. Sometimes something like a tragedy and our response can reveal some of these myths for what they are.

Americans are responding to the needs of those affected by the tragedy in amazing ways- self sacrificing ways. I hope that in doing so we all gain the humility that comes from seeing our vulnerability and our humanity. Yes, tragedy can happen to us. Just like it can happen to anyone else. The sooner that doesn't surprise us, the better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Streak said...

This is a good and important post. Thanks. I have had similar thoughts when people said that they couldn't believe that this was happening in America. We see the death and destruction in Asia and think it belongs there?

4:22 PM  
Blogger P M Prescott said...

We've been through Hurricanes Hugo, Andrew, three of them last year in Florida. Damage was done, it took time to rebuild, but you didn't have the flooding like in NO, there wasn't the level of society breakdown. That is what is such a shock. It was also the government doing nothing for days -- that's Unamerican.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home